Version history - FileView Control
What's New!! in version 2012
- NEW: Improved support for Windows 7 libraries.
- NEW: Improved support for Vista and Windows 7.
- NEW: Improved Thumbnail support on Vista and Windows 7.
- NEW: Improved drag-drop support.
- NEW: Improved support for DFS folders on Windows 2003/2008.
- NEW: Ability to retrieve dragged files when drag is started from Outlook
and similar sources which provide files in stream format.
- NEW: RTL support for Arabic and Hebrew systems.
- NEW METHOD: Added ListItem.IsLibrray method.
- NEW METHOD: Added FileView.DeleteAllItems method.
- NEW METHOD: Added FileView.GetColumnIndexFromColumndID method.
- NEW METHOD:Added Utilities.GetStreamFromHGLOBAL and Utilities.GetStreamFromStorage
methods for retrieving data in FileDescriptor & FileContents format.
- NEW PROPETY: Added FileView.RightToLeftLayout property.
- NEW: Ability to provide thumbnails for custom items.
- NEW: BeforeLabelEdit event now allows you to change starting edit
label by changing e.Label.
- IMPROVED: Auto Update functionality to cover additional cases such
as when virtual drives are added/removed/changed.
- FIX: Folder was locked if FileView browsed to that folder and subsequently
browsed to another location.
- FIX: DFS folders were opened externally in Windows Explorer instead
of within FileView on Windows 2003/2008.
- FIX: Crash in certain circumstances when namespace extensions were
- FIX: Thumbnails for some files like fra and rvt were not shown correctly.
- FIX: Drag-drop failed if files dropped from iTunes (Apps File Sharing
window like GoodReader's) to FileView.
- FIX: When clicking fast from one item to another, an inadvertent drag-drop
operation would sometimes start.
- FIX: Crash occurred when custom item was dragged.
- FIX: Overflow crash occurred on x64 in some cases.
What's New!! in version 2010
- NEW: Now works with the .Net Framework Client Profile.
- NEW: Items can now be rearranged using drag-drop.
- NEW: Namespace extensions developed with .Net edition of EZNamespaceExtensions
can now be seamlessly browsed using Shell MegaPack.
- NEW: Ability to retrieve file/folder properties such as author, date
picture taken, rating, etc using ListItem.GetProperty method.
- NEW: Support for Dutch and French localization.
- NEW: Added support for background context menu extensions (such as
TortoiseSVN) in the background menu.
- NEW: Items can now be grouped by dates for 'date' columns like Date
Modified, Picture Taken, etc and 'size' columns like File Size.
- NEW: A Wait cursor is now shown during file/folder enumeration.
- NEW: Added CheckTypes.Invert enum member for use with FileView.CheckItems
- NEW: Only columns which are visible by default are shown by default
in Details View.
- NEW: Setting ListItem.IconIndex=-2 removes the icon for the item.
- NEW: Improved auto-update.
- CHANGE: New file/folders are now named starting with New Folder(2)
instead of New Folder(1) similar to Windows.
- NEW METHOD: ListItem.GetUnderlyingObject method.
- NEW METHOD: Added new overload FileView.GetItemItemFromName(string
name, bool ignoreCase).
NEW PROPERTY: Added FileView.EnableVistaTheme property.
- NEW PROPERTY: Added FileView.AllowDragDropItemOrdering property.
- NEW PROPERTY: FileView.PositionalItems property allows enumerating
items in positional order.
- NEW PROPERTY: ShellMenuItem.Command and ShellMenuItem.CommandStr properties.
- NEW PROPERTY: FileView.ShowSortColumnShaded property.
- NEW METHOD: Added ListItem.GetSystemInfotip method.
- NEW METHOD: FileView.SelectItems method and SelectTypes enum.
- NEW METHOD: FileView.GetImageListIconSize method.
- FIX: Fixed bug in AddCustomItem method.
- FIX: Column Details not seen in some folders on Vista or above.
- FIX: Desktop folder not browsed when double-clicking on a shortcut
to the Desktop.
- FIX: Background menu--> New Shortcut command not working on Vista.
- FIX: Zip files are listed twice when file pattern includes *.zip.
- FIX: AllowZipFolders property now takes effect on Vista.
- FIX: Rare OverflowException in FileView.
- FIX: Dialogs or message boxes were sometimes shown during refresh.
- FIX: Sorting not working for some columns such as date created, bitrate,etc.
- FIX:2 GDI leaks during instantiation.
- FIX: Menu items for which the SetBitmap method has been called is
now hilighted correctly.
What's New!! in version 2009
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Support for per-item colors. Text color, back
color and font of individual items can be changed. Full custom drawing
is also supported.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for sub-item (column) images. Icons
can now be displayed for sub-items (columns).
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New overhauled implementation of background thumbnail
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Much more comprehensive thumbnail functionality
1. Ability to specify a default thumbnail till the real thumbnail is
extracted and shown.
2. Ability to specify custom thumbnails and avoid wasting time in extracting
3. Ability to prevent extraction of a thumbnail and instead use a thumbnail
with the default icon for the file.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY: Added support for Mobile Devices which use ActiveSync.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved support for FTP locations.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Comprehensive support for overlay icons :
1. Overlay icons are now directly sourced from the OS.
2. Overlay icon extensions are supported
3. Overlay icons for namespace extension items are also supported.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added ability to identify known (pre-defined)
commands via a ShellCommands enum instead of a command string in the
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : BeforeShellCommandExecute event is fired when
item is double-clicked.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Ability to invoke the default command for an item
using the new ShellCommands.Default enum member.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Items can now be arranged/aligned from top to
bottom or from left to right.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved dragdrop support when dragging from certain
programs such as Winzip.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : BeforeShellCommandExecute event is fired when
ShellCommands.Default verb is executed.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : In the AfterLabelEdit event, the new name entered
by the user can be modified before the item is renamed.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added Spanish language localized strings for FileView
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : ListItem.DisplayName property is now writable
and setting it causes the node to be renamed.
- CHANGE: Default (non-themed) checkboxes changed to look more presentable.
- NEW EVENT : Added FileView.GetitemThumbnail event.
- NEW ENUM MEMBER : Added ShellCommands.Unknown and ShellCommands.Default
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetDriveType method.
- NEW METHOD : Added ListItem.BeginLabelEdit method.
- NEW ENUMS : Added IconArragement, DriveType and DrawMode enums.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.DrawMode property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.IconArragement property.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetShellIconFromExtension method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetShellIconFromPath method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.SysIconIndexFromPIDL method.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.EnableColumnIcons property.
- NEW METHODS : Added ListItem.GetColumnIconIndex and ListItem.SetColumnIconIndex
- NEW METHODS : Added ListItem.GetBounds and ListItem.GetSubItemBounds
- NEW EVENT : Added FileView.DrawItem event.
- NEW EVENT : Added FileView.BeforeFocusedItemChange event.
- BUGFIX : Fixed buffer overrun error when showing certain files with
extremely long names such as those in the 'Temporary Internet files'
- BUGFIX : When using XP themes, thumbnails for some file types such
as .dwg showed up as blank.
- BUGFIX : FileView incorrectly scrolled horizontally under some circumstances.
- BUGFIX : The verbs provided in OnBeforeShellCommandExecute event are
now more robustly determined.
- BUGFIX : Accessing CurrentFolder property caused exception if Visible
property was set to False.
- BUGFIX : Filenames of new files and folders created using the background
menu are localized.
- BUGFIX : Crash occurred when a context menu overflowed the screen
and the user moved the mouse over the 'scroll buttons' of the menu.
- BUGFIX : OnContextMenuHint event was incorrectly fired (with garbage
values) for background menu items or for custom menuitems.
- BUGFIX : Last checked item was not returned when using GetFirstCheckedItem/NextCheckedItem.
- BUGFIX : Custom thumbnails were overwritten after some time by the
- BUGFIX : Executing verbs invoked incorrect commands under certain
rare circumstances (for example, 'find' verb invoked the McAfee Virus
Scan instead (if installed)).
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash that occurred at design time in Visual Studio
2005 when the 'Property Pages' dialog was invoked.
- BUGFIX : Fixed continuous incorrect scrolling which occurred after
certain drag-drop operations were completed.
- BUGFIX: Fixed crash which occurred under rare circumstances when the
background menu's 'New' sub-menu was displayed.
What's New!! in version 2008 (Build 581512)
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for Alpha (transparent) thumbnails
on XP and Vista.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Thumbnails on Vista now show extra-large icons
for items which have no thumbnails
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for drag-drop from some external
sources such as Winzip.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added comprehensive support for overlay icons.
Overlay icons other than Shortcut and Share are now supported, overlay
icons for custom namespace extension items are supported and overlay
icons are not sourced directly from the OS.
- BUGFIX : Crash occurred if AddCustomItem was called with '-1' as the
- BUGFIX : If 'Starting Folder' set at design time is not present at
run-time, FileView resets to the Desktop.
- BUGFIX : Some thumbnails were shown against a black background on
XP and Vista.
- BUGFIX : Fixed internal crash and consequent 'random scrolling' bug
when dragdrop enters from some external locations.
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash in VIsual Studio 2005 at design time when invoking
control property pages.
What's New!! in version 2008
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Vastly improved AutoUpdate functionality now uses
low-level detections for newly created/deleted/renamed files and folders.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Vastly improved speed and response time in thumbnail
view by use of multithreading.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Automatically takes on the new Vista look when
running on Vista.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added localization support for column names such
as "Name", "Size", etc.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : UI dialogs such as the 'Network Logon prompt'
or error/informational messages are now displayed in all circumstances
(depending on the value of ShowUIDialogs property).
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : In synchronized mode, when browsing to a new location
fails (such as for an empty CD drive), FolderView changes back to the
previous browsed location.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Dragdrop now uses the data provided by dragged
items in addition to custom developer defined data. This is useful when
dragging items from a namespace extension or a non-filesystem location.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added ability to get thumbnails in FileView.GetShellIconFromPIDL
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Now custom items can be sorted using CompareItems
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Changed behavior of FileView.HotTracking property.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : It is now possible to localize the New-->Folder
and New-->Shortcut menu items present in the FileView background
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : FileView now automatically goes to parent folder
if current folder is renamed or deleted.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : GetDisplayNameEx method of ListItem now can return
the target of a shortcut.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Removed dependency on shell32.dll v4.71 and above
- so FileView now works on NT4 with IE4 also.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : When items are 'cut', they now appear 'ghosted'.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added Polish and Norwegian translations.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : 'Properties' menu item is shown in the background
menu for the 'Desktop' also.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : OnBeforeShellCommandExecute event is fired when
the BackSpace(GoUp) key is pressed and when the F5(Refresh) key is pressed.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.ItemUnderliningStyle property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.Activation property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.ColumnHeadersClickable property.
- NEW METHOD : Added FileView.RefreshViewFast method.
- NEW METHOD : Added FileView.GetColumndIDFromColumn to get the unique
identifier for a column. One use is to identify a column (such as Type,
Size) irrespective of its localized name.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.DoesFilenameMatchWildCard method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetSpecialFolderPath and Utilities.PathFromPIDL
- NEW METHOD : Added new enum constants to SpecialFolders enumeration.
- NEW METHOD : Added FileView.GetImageListIcon and ListItem.GetCurrentIcon
- NEW METHOD : Added ShellMenuItem.SetBitmap method.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.SelectedItemHasBorder property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added ListItem.Index property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added new HideColumnHeaders property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added ListItem.Hilited property
- BUGFIX : When Visual Styles are enabled for the application, tooltips
for an item appeared in top-left corner of the screen under certain
- BUGFIX : If, after renaming, the new name is same as old name, renaming
- BUGFIX : New background submenu is only included if its really possible
to create a new file.
- BUGFIX : Path property of items which are shortcut targets is now
correctly returned (the target of the shortcut is returned).
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash which occurred during dragdrop in certain cases.
- BUGFIX : Fixed bug which caused browsing of folder shortcuts to fail.
- BUGFIX : Caused file handles to remain open in Thumbnail View under
- BUGFIX : Nonessential menu items from the background menu removed
on Windows XP or higher.
- BUGFIX : Fixed buffer overrun caused by items having very long names.
What's New!! in version 9.0
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : It is not longer necessary to use a manifest file
when visual styles are used in applications using the Application.EnableVisualStyles
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : The 'Paste' and 'Paste Shortcut' background menu
items now support any data type such as Outlook emails and not just
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Now uses a cleaner 'Share' overlay icon.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Passing -1 to the SetColumnWidth function now
auto-resizes the column similar to the standard listview.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetSystemIconIndexFromPath method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetSystemIconIndexFromExtension method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetStandardSystemIconIndex method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.PIDLSplit method.
- BUGFIX : Invoking of default action for an item when double-clicked
did not work in some cases.
- BUGFIX : Files were incorrectly included in the filtered list when
a FilePattern is specified and when the short filename happened to match
- BUGFIX : Infotip was not displayed correctly for items whose display
name was not fully visible.
- BUGFIX : ListItem.IsFolder method now returns the correct value depending
on whether 'Zip Folders' are enabled or disabled.
- BUGFIX : When a FilePattern was specified and a folder is renamed,
the folder was removed from FileView.
- BUGFIX : Icons were not displaying correctly when the same form was
displayed a second time.
What's New!! in version 8.0
- NEW : Now implemented in 100% C# managed code. Some of the advantages
of this include 64-bit support, better IDE support, better tool support
(such as a variety of profilers, linkers, etc) and reduced assembly
file size (by as much as half).
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Full support for 64-bit systems and 64-bit development.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Add dynamic string localization support. Strings
used by FileView such as the captions of the menu items in background
context menu can now be dynamically changed/localized at runtime.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : FileView now supports WebDAV locations. FileView.CurrentFolder
property and Listitem.Path property now work correctly with WebDAV locations.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : In Group Mode, items are now sorted within a group.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : When Windows XP Visual Themes are enabled, themed
check boxes are used if ShowCheckBoxes property is True.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : When Windows XP Visual Themes are enabled, column
header sort arrow images (in details view) are shown according to the
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : When Windows XP Visual Themes are enabled, the
sorted column (in details view) is shown using a different color similar
to Windows Explorer.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : When Windows XP Visual Themes are enabled, alpha-blended
selection rectangle is used similar to Windows Explorer.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Thumbnail View now uses extra large icons (48x48
default) for item thumbnails similar to Windows Explorer.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : In Thumbnail View, only the border of selected
items is drawn using the system hilight color; the entire icon is not
drawn selected as in previous versions as that obscured the item thumbnail.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : The size of thumbnails in Thumbnail View now respects
the system setting. Earlier it was 100x100 by default.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added ability for complete check box synchronization
between FolderView and FileView using FileView.CheckState property.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : The Utilities.GetShellIconFromPIDL method and
ListItem.GetShellIcon now supports extra large icons and thumbnails.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : The background menu now displays a "Show In Groups"
menu item similar to Windows Explorer if applicable.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added ListItem.PidlAbsolute property which returns
the fully qualified PIDL of the item.
- NEW METHOD : Added ListItem.GetDisplayNameEx method which gets the
display name of the item in a specified format.
- NEW METHOD : Added ListItem.DisplayShellMenu method which displays
the shell context menu for the item.
- NEW METHOD : Added ListItem.IsFolder method which determines whether
the item is a file or a folder.
- NEW METHOD : Add FileView.SetIconSpacing method which allows changing
the spacing between items.
- NEW PROPERTY : FileView.GetColumnDisplayIndex and FileView.SetColumnDisplayIndex
methods which allows programmatic reordering of columns in details view.
- NEW METHOD : Added FileView.BeginUpdate and FileView.EndUpdate methods.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.AutoSort property - if set to False,
items are not sorted automatically but only via code or user-action.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added Listitem.CheckState property to allow setting
of check state (include half-states such as ChildChecked and SelfAndChildChecked)
- NEW METHOD : Added FileView.GetAllItemsCheckState method which retrieves
the combined check state of all items in FileView.
- NEW EVENT : Added FileView.Initialize event.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.PIDLDecode and Utilities.PIDLEncode methods
to encode/decode PIDLs into strings for easy storage/serialization.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FileView.Items, FileView.SelectedItems and FileView.CheckedItems
properties for easy enumeration using the foreach (For Each) statement.
- BUGFIX : Custom overlay icons in Thumbnail View were not displaying
- BUGFIX : Folders were browsed when double-clicked even if the AllowDiveIntoFolders
property was False.
- BUGFIX : Changing views when Group View was enabled caused FileView
to stop painting itself under certain circumstances.
- BUGFIX : Crash occurred when attempting to browse certain namespace
extensions with custom views.
- BUGFIX : Check boxes were not shown for custom items even if ShowCheckBoxes
was set to True.
- BUGFIX : FileView.BackColor and FileView.ForeColor properties now
respect the system setting.
What's New!! in version 7.1
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Size of thumbnails in Thumbnail View can be changed.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Column widths are preserved when changing folders.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New methods GetBitmap and SetBitmap to FIVDataObject
allow bitmaps to be drag-dropped.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : A radio check mark is shown in the background
menu next to the menu item corresponding to the current viewstyle.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added DisplayBackgroundMenu and DisplayShellMenuForItems
methods to allow programmatic display of background view menu or item
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New helper methods, PIDLCompare, PIDLFromPath,
GetSpecialFolderPIDL and PIDLConcat methods added to Utilities class.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New helper method GetDisplayNameFromPIDL allows
retrieval of the full/relative display name from the PIDL of an item.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New helper method GetShellIconFromPIDL allows
retrieval of shell icons from the PIDL of an item.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New event, HeaderRightClick, fires when column
headers in Details mode are right clicked.
- BUGFIX : Fixed issue due to which a "LoaderLock Detected"
MDA (Managed Debug Assistant) message was shown in Visual Studio 2005
projects at runtime or design-time.
- BUGFIX : If the root folder is changed at design-time, an exception
was thrown when the program was run in Debug mode.
- BUGFIX : FileSize property incorrectly returned -1 for zip files if
WinXP Compressed Folders feature is enabled.
- BUGFIX : Crash occurred when invalid data in HDROP format was dragged
- BUGFIX : The default dragdrop action when dragging within FileView
was copy, which resulted in advertent copies.
- BUGFIX : In Thumbnail View, red colors in thumbnails were shown as
- BUGFIX : Index property of ShellMenuItem did not work correctly.
- BUGFIX : Item context menus were shown when Shift+F10 or Windows App
key was pressed even if the ShowContextMenus property was set to False.
- BUGFIX : If drives are added or removed, FileView did not update even
if AutoUpdate property was set to True.
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash in Visual Studio 2005 under certain circumstances.
- BUGFIX : Fixed problem of non-display of icons in Windows Vista Beta1.
- BUGFIX : CurrentFolderChanged event is fired even if the new folder
is same as old folder ( For example, when RefreshView method is called
or FilePattern property is set).
- BUGFIX : Separator property os ShellMenuItem did not return the correct
- BUGFIX : Fixed GDI resource leaks in AddCustomIcon method.
- BUGFIX : Value of Enabled property of ShellMenuItem was lost when
the Index property was set.
What's New!! in version 7.0
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : An internal implementation change now makes the
FileView up to 5X times faster!
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added 'Paste Shortcut' functionality to the background
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added 'GroupView' support : items in FileView
can now be grouped together by Name, Size, Type, Date Modified,etc similar
to Windows Explorer on XP.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : OnEndItemRename is fired even when label editing
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New Toggle enumeration member allows you to toggle
the current sort order.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved design-time support.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : FolderView-FileView-ShComboBox integration is
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Custom overlay icons support for Thumbnail View.
- NEW PROPERTY : HideSelection : Gets/Sets whether the selected items
remains highlighted even when FileView has lost the focus.
- NEW PROPERTY : EnableGroupView : Enables/disables GroupView in FileView.
- NEW PROPERTY : AllowZipFolders : Gets/Sets whether zip files are allowed
to behave as folders on Windows XP.
- NEW METHOD : SetCheckboxBitmaps : Allows custom bitmaps to be used
as the bitmap for check boxes.
- NEW METHOD : GetSortorder : Gets whether items in FileView are sorted
in ascending or descending order.
- NEW METHOD : GetSortColumnIndex : Gets the index of the column by
which items in FileView are sorted.
- NEW METHOD : PIDLFree and PIDLCopy to allow shell PIDLs to be freed
and copied. See the BackForwardNavigation sample.
- BUGFIX : Shortcut and share overlay icons not shown in Thumbnail View.
- BUGFIX : SortByColumn method would not sort correctly if SortOrder
= Descending wa specified.
- BUGFIX : Item icons not shown when system does not have a c:\ drive.
- BUGFIX : Thumbnails not shown for certain files like PDF files.
- BUGFIX : Wrong size shown in the Size column for files under certain
- BUGFIX : The Sort indicators in column headers are now drawn correctly
if themes are enabled.
- BUGFIX : Eliminated crash which occurred when dragging from FileView
and dropping on a CD-RW drive in XP.
- BUGFIX : Items added due to AutoUpdate did not honor the FilePattern
- BUGFIX : Setting IconIndex property of Listitem to a negative value
did not reset the icon to the system default icon.
- BUGFIX : Endless loop when setting AutoUpdate property to True in
OnBeforeFill or OnAfterFill events.
What's New!! in version 6.1
- NEW FUCNTIONALITY : Custom items now support context menus.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Custom items now support dragdrop functionality.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Column headers can now be reordered by doing dragdrop
in 'Details' mode.
- NEW PROPERTY : AllowColumnHeaderDragdrop which allows programmer to
control whether the user can reorder columns by doing dragdrop in 'Details'
- NEW METHOD : CreateNewFile for FileView which creates a new file of
the specified extension having a default filename.
- NEW METHOD : Empty for FIVDataObject which allows programmer to remove
all data from the data object at the start of a dragdrop operation.
- BUGFIX : FileView crashed under certain circumstances when executing
- BUGFIX : Under certain circumstances, a dragdrop caused the target
of the drop to remain hilighted.
- BUGFIX : The 'New' folder background menu displayed redundant items
and did not display certain items.
- BUGFIX : Some items in the context menu associated with files and
folders were not drawn correctly.
- BUGFIX : Renaming an item so that the new name had a trailing space
or period caused the item to be displayed twice.
What's New!! in version 6.0
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for DataObject manipulation during
dragdrop. This allows programmer to access data or put new data during
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for contextmenu customization. This
allows programmer to remove, insert or modify the background contextmenu
or the contextmenu displayed for files/folders.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for Thumbnail View exactly as seen
in Windows Explorer.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for custom icons.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for custom overlay icons similar
to the shortcut and share overlay icons.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for custom Thumbnail images for
items when in Thumbnail view.
- NEW PROPERTY : ShowUIDialogs which allows programmer to control whether
user-interface dialogs or error messages should be displayed.
- BUGFIX : Item text color was not grayed when control is disabled.
- BUGFIX : Item contextmenu was not displayed when the Shift+F10 key
combination was pressed.
- BUGFIX : MouseMove event was not firing.
- BUGFIX : FullRowSelect property was not working when set to True.
- BUGFIX : Some files were added twice when multiple file patterns were
used ( e.g : *.c;*.cpp )
- BUGFIX : On Win98 systems, Infotips did not display properly and item
label editing was faulty.
- BUGFIX : Selecting the New => Shortcut from the background context
menu created the shortcut in the parent folder.
What's New!! in version 5.2
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY
Column widths in 'Details' view are now persisted when the current
folder is changed.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY
: The 'New' submenu of the folder background menu is fully populated
with the same items as those in Windows Explorer.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY
: Dragdrop of non-shell items is supported. For example, mails
from Outlook or Outlook Express can be drag-dropped over a folder or
a folder background.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY
When shortcuts that point to folders are double-clicked, FileView
changes the current folder to the target folder just like Windows Explorer.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY
FileView now supports drag-drop images while performing a drag-drop
operation just like Windows Explorer.
- BUGFIX : FileView could not be used on WIndows 95 machines due to
the use of some API functions not present in Windows 95.
- BUGFIX : Pressing the Ctrl-V (Paste) keystroke in the Desktop folder
did not cause a Paste operation to occur.
- BUGFIX : If the ShowFolders property was set to False, files did not
get added during AutoUpdate.
- BUGFIX : Selected items did not retain their selection state when
a refresh in response to an AutoUpdate occurred.
- BUGFIX : Custom items did not retain their topmost/ bottommost positions
when the sort order was changed.
- BUGFIX : AutoUpdate of a large number of items failed.
- BUGFIX : The 'New' submenu of the folder background menu was not drawn
properly; icons and text were too small or overlapped.
- BUGFIX : An exception occurred when a form containing FileView was
destroyed and shown again.
- BUGFIX : When placed on a modal dialog, FileView did not retain the
current folder if the dialog was closed and showed again.
- BUGFIX : Moved the mouse outside FileView and then bringing it over
one of the items caused it to become selected even if the TrackSelect
property was set to False.
What's New!! in version 5.1
- New 100% .Net version of the control released.
FUNCTIONALITY : 100% support for Unicode. The
control can now display and navigate to files/folders having names in
Unicode. This brings support for all languages including Japanese, Chinese
FUNCTIONALITY : Dragdrop behavior control : developers can cancel
the start of a dragdrop operation, cancel the drop action and change
default dragdrop actions ( e.g. from copy to move).
FUNCTIONALITY : Ability to change or suppress the default infotip
shown for files and folders.
FUNCTIONALITY : FileView can now display background images using
the SetBackgroundImage function.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Developers can prevent execution of shell commands
( open,cut,rename,etc) on items on a per-item basis using the BeforeShellCommandExecute
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : The background menu of a folder mimics the actual
menu to a greater extent.
- NEW METHOD : SetBackgroundImage for FileView.
- NEW EVENT : BeforeShellCommandExecute for FileView.
- NEW EVENT : FileViewStartDrag for FileView.
- NEW EVENT : FileViewDragOver for FileView.
- NEW EVENT : FileViewDragDrop for FileView.
- NEW EVENT : GetInfoTip for FileView.
- NEW METHOD : IsSpecialFolder for ListItem allows developers to determine
if an item is one of the system-defined folders(My Computers, Control
- BUGFIX : Moving mouse over certain contextmenu items added by namespace
extension caused a crash.
- BUGFIX : Trying to navigate to a floppy drive containing an empty
( no files or folders) floppy failed.
- BUGFIX : Dragdrop did not cause FileView to autoupdate.
- BUGFIX : Infotips were displayed in some cases even when ShowInfotips
property was set to False.
- BUGFIX : Folders were displayed in "My Computers" even when
ShowFolders was set to False.
- BUGFIX : The 'New" submenu of the background popup menu of folder
was displayed even for non-filesystem folders.
- BUGFIX : Creating a new folder through FileView did not caused a linked
FolderView to refresh.
- BUGFIX : The "Properties" submenu of the background popup
menu of a folder was displayed even if the command was not supported.
- BUGFIX : Pressing the "Ctrl-A" key combination did not cause
all items in FileView to get selected.
What's New!! in version 5.0
What's New!! in version 4.3
FUNCTIONALITY : FileView can now display custom items(not belonging
to the shell) in the list.
FUNCTIONALITY : FileView can now, in details mode, display columns other
than the normal('Name','Type','Size' and 'Modified') like 'Author' or
FUNCTIONALITY : FileView can now sort items using various default
sorting algorithms or using a programmer-defined custom sorting algorithm.
ENUMERATION : FIVSortMethods for FileView.
EVENT : OnBeforeColumnSort for FileView
EVENT : OnCompareItems for FileView
EVENT : OnBeforeFill for FileView
EVENT : OnAfterFill for FileView
- NEW EVENT : OnBackgroundRightClicked for FileView
METHOD : AddCustomItem for FileView
METHOD : IsCustom for ListItem
- BUGFIX : HitTest method did not work.
- BUGFIX : Shell contextmenu was shown even when the checkbox of an
item was right-clicked.
: Crashed when the FIlePattern property was set to a pattern which was
greater than 100 characters long.
: FilePattern property did not work when displaying the Desktop folder
: Could not set the root folder of FileView at design-time from the
property pages in Visual Studio.Net IDE.
: Random crashes in Visual C++ 6.0 at design-time.
: MouseDown and Click events did not fire at certain times.
: Clicking on a column caused wrong sorting when certain other columns
- BUGFIX : Wrong name shown during editing for certain items (like
: Renaming a node in FileView caused a different node to get selected
after the renaming operation.
: Using FileView together with one of either FolderView or ShComboBox
and SmartUI ActiveX Controls caused crashes.
What's New!! in version 4.2
- Version 4.2 adds 2 new properties - AddCustomColumn and DeleteCustomColumn
- for the functionality of user-defined columns in DetailsMode.
- Version 4.2 allows user-defined menuitems in the context menus of
files/folders using the AddCustomContextMenuItem method and OnCustomContextMenuItemAdd
and OnCustomContextMenuItemSelect events.
- Version 4.2 fixes a bug in which the control became UI active on
- Version 4.2 fixes a bug involving drag-drop of first-level items
like those on the Desktop.
What's New!! in version 4.1
- Version 4.1 fixes a memory leak which occurs during display of files/folders.
- Version 4.1 features improved support for Visual Studio.Net. Projects
using the control no more occasionally crash.
- Version 4.1 fixes a bug involving the AllowDragDrop property.
- Version 4.1 fixes a bug involving the AutoUpdate functionality.
What's New!! in version 4.0
- Version 4.0 adds a ShowBackGroundMenu property which allows display
of the background menu for a folder.
- Version 4.0 adds a AddCustomIcon method to allow display of user-defined
icons for files/folders.
- Version 4.0 adds a OverlayIconIndex to ListItem to allow user controlled
display of overlay icons ( shortcut and share icons or none).
- Version 4.0 adds a CurrentFolderDisplayName which retrieves the displayname
of the current folder.
- Version 4.0 adds a HeaderSortArrowImageStyle property to allow programmer-controlled
display of sort-direction indicator in column-headers.
- Version 4.0 adds a ColumnName property for programmer-controlled
changing of column names.
- Version 4.0 adds a ColumnTextJustification property for programmer-controlled
changing of column text justification.
- Version 4.0 fixes a bug in which FileView crashed if an item was
dragged out of FileView and back over it again when the current folder
- Version 4.0 fixes a bug in which CurrentFolder property returned
incorrect value for the Desktop.
- Version 4.0 adds a new behavior to the IconIndex property of ListItem;
if the index is a negative value then the icon is set to the system-default
icon for that file/folder.
What's New!! in version 3.3
- Version 3.3 adds a CreateNewFolderFromName method which allows you
to create a new folder using a parameter-passed name.
- Version 3.3 adds a Delete method to ListItem to allow unwanted ListItems
to be deleted.
- Version 3.3 fixes a bug in which shortcut files did not open correctly
when the cmdOpen was specified on Windows 2000
- Version 3.3 fixes a bug in which files were executed when Enter key
is pressed even when
AllowFileExecute is false.
- Version 3.3 fixes a bug involving drag-drop.
- Version 3.3 fixes a bug in which ListItems were not entering renaming
mode when clicked or F2 key is pressed.
What's New!! in version 3.2
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving OnItemCheck event.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug in which double-clicking on check boxes caused
folder-diving or file-
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving context-menus.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving OnBeforeItemDelete.
- Version 3.2 now shows a 'busy' cursor while ListItems are being added.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug in which the OnItemCheck event was fired
- Version 3.2 adds a ShowCheckBox property to ListItem.
- Version 3.2 adds a CancelEvent property.
- Version 3.2 adds a feature which allows custom cancellation of contextmenu-display
using the CancelEvent property.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving erroneous display of details-mode
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving the scrolling of FileView.
- Version 3.2 fixes a memory leak of some internal structures.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug in which the control was not being drawn
properly when placed on a
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving the OnItemDblClick event.
What's New!! in version 3.1
- Version 3.1 has improved design-time support for certain containers
like VC and Access.
- Version 3.1 allows you to hide certain columns from details-mode
- Version 3.1 adds a SortByColumn method which allows you to programmatically
- Version 3.1 has improved sizing support
- Version 3.1 has improved support for property pages
- Version 3.1 adds a HitTest method.
- Version 3.1 adds the OnAfterItemAdd and OnBeforeDeleteItem events
- Version 3.1 adds ColumnWidth and ColumnCount properties
- Version 3.1 adds the OnBeforeColumnAdd event
- Version 3.1 adds a CheckItems method
- Version 3.1 adds a ColumnText property to ListItem
- Version 3.1 adds a Text property to ListItem allowing you to set
your own displaytext for each ListItem
- Version 3.1 adds the UserData property to ListItem which allows you
to set user-defined data for each ListItem
- Version 3.1 fixes a bug involving details-mode display.
- Version 3.1 fixes a bug involving using multiple FileViews
What's New!! in version 3.0
- Version 3.0 can be easily used with ShComboBox and FolderView Controls
using simple 1-line code like : fldrVw.FileView = fileVw
- Version 3.0 has full drag-drop support. Now you can drag-drop files
internally within FileView, between two FileViews, between FileView
and Explorer or between FileView and FolderView.
- Version 3.0 has vastly improved AutoUpdate support.
- Version 3.0 has improved keyboard-handling support.
- Version 3.0 has a AllowDragDrop property for controlling drag-drop.
- Version 3.0 has a Font property for changing the active font.
- Version 3.0 has a WindowHandle property.
- Version 3.0 has a BorderStyle property.
- Version 3.0 has OnBeforeSelectionChange and OnAfterSelectionChange
- Version 3.0 has OnItemCheck, OnBeginItemRename and OnEndItemRename
- Version 3.0 adds a IconIndex property to ListItem object for changing
the icon shown for an item.
- Version 3.0 adds a State property to ListItem object for controlling
various states of an item.
- Version 3.0 adds Font and Color property pages to FileView.
- Version 3.0 has improved support for default key handling. Version
3.0 responds to all keystrokes used in Windows Explorer.
- Version 3.0 has enhanced support for renaming of items. Items can
now be renamed within FileView. The rename menuitem is also seen in
the contextmenu of an item. Moreover renaming can be programmatically
started through code.
- Version 3.0 has improved support for overlay icons and fixes some
bugs found in earlier versions.
- Version 3.0 has vastly improved support for contextmenus.
- Version 3.0 fixes bugs found in the CreateNewFolder method.
- Version 3.0 fixes a bug present when changing view styles.
- Version 3.0 fixes a scrolling bug when browsing a new folder.
What's New!! in version 2.5
- Added FilePattern property which allows you to show only certain
types of files
- Added ShowInfotips property which allows you to display a infotip
when the mouse hovers over an item for a certain amount of time.
- Vastly improved support for Windows 2000
- Fixed bug which caused items to display incorrectly in Details Mode
on Windows 2000.
- Fixed bug which caused FIleView to show incorrect overlay icons for
shortcuts on Windows 2000.
- Added support for displaying the shared overlay icon.
- Added Click and DblClick events.
What's New!! in version 2.1
The following new features/changes have been added/changed..
- The details view now works on all versions of the Windows Operating
- Fixed a bug which caused the FileView Control to lose its position
on the VB form
- Fixed a common bug which affected some methods/properties ( to varying
degrees ) like CurrentFolder and AutoUpdate,etc.
- The About Box is now shown much less frequently in the unregistered
version. Evaluate the control with minimum obstacles!!
- Fixed a bug which was caused when a non-folder object was passed
to FileView for filling
What's New!! in version 2.0
Version 2.0 of FileView Control brings a whole lot of new features. Some
of the new features include..
- Better integration with the FolderView Control through the use of
CurrentPIDL property and the PIDL property of the Listitem object.
- Better notification through many new events like OnItemRenaming ,
OnItemRightClick , MouseMove , MouseUp , KeyDown , KeyUp...
- Optional ability to allow renaming of items
- Optional ability to handle standard keystrokes like Ctrl-C , Ctrl-X
etc. like Windows Explorer.
- Notification of context menu hints ( the messages you see in the
statusbar of Explorer when the mouse moves over a context menu item)