Version history - FolderView Control
What's New!! in version 2012
- NEW: Improved support for Windows 7 libraries.
- NEW: Improved support for Vista and Windows 7.
- NEW: Improved drag-drop support.
- NEW: Improved support for DFS folders on Windows 2003/2008.
- NEW: Ability to retrieve dragged files when drag is started from Outlook
and similar sources which provide files in stream format.
- NEW: RTL support for Arabic and Hebrew systems.
- NEW METHOD: Added TreeNode.IsLibrray method.
- NEW PROPETY: Added FolderView.RightToLeftLayout property.
- NEW: BeforeLabelEdit event now allows you to change starting edit
label by changing e.Label.
- NEW: Added e.Node to BeforeShellCommandExecuteEventArgs to allow determining
exact node for which command is executing.
- IMPROVED: Auto Update functionality to cover additional cases such
as when virtual drives are added/removed/changed.
- FIX: Folder was locked if FolderView browsed to that folder and subsequently
browsed to another location.
- FIX: Crash in certain circumstances when namespace extensions were
- FIX: Drag-drop failed if files dropped from iTunes (Apps File Sharing
window like GoodReader's) to FolderView.
- FIX: When clicking fast from one item to another, an inadvertent drag-drop
operation would sometimes start.
- FIX: Crash occurred when custom item was dragged.
- FIX: Overflow crash occurred on x64 in some cases.
- FIX: Crash occurred if a custom item was added as child of non-folder
- FIX: Root folder specified via Initialize event did not take effect
in some circumstances.
- FIX: Zip files were shown even if ShowFiles=false and AllowZipFolders=false.
- FIX: Removed large delay when expanding folders containing huge (>5
GB) zip files.
- FIX: Overflow crash occurred on x64 in some cases.
What's New!! in version 2010
- NEW: Now works with the .Net Framework Client Profile.
- NEW: Namespace extensions developed with .Net edition of EZNamespaceExtensions
can now be seamlessly browsed using Shell MegaPack.
- NEW: Improved auto-update.
- NEW: Added localization support for "New folder" string
using in CreateNewFolder methods.
- NEW: Improved speed when browsing network and slow locations.
- NEW: A Wait cursor is now shown during enumeration.
- CHANGE: New file/folders are now named starting with New Folder(2)
instead of New Folder(1) similar to Windows.
- NEW METHOD: FOVTreeNode.GetUnderlyingObject method.
- NEW PROPERTY: FolderView.AllowDropOnBackground property.
- NEW PROPERTY: FolderView.FastModeSynchronization property.
- NEW PROPERTY: FolderView.EnableVistaTheme property.
- NEW METHOD: FOVTreeNode.GetSystemInfotip method.
- NEW PROPERTY: FolderView.DragOverEffects property.
- NEW ENUM: DragOverEffects enum.
- NEW METHOD: Added FolderView.GetImageListIconSize method.
- NEW PROPERTY: FolderView.ExpandedCount property.
- NEW PROPERTY: ShellMenuItem.Command and ShellMenuItem.CommandStr properties.
- NEW METHOD: FOVTReeNode.GetTreePath method.
- FIX: Fixed bug in AddCustomItem method.
- FIX: Menu items for which the SetBitmap method has been called is
now hilighted correctly.
- FIX: Dialogs or message boxes were sometimes shown during refresh.
What's New!! in version 2009
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Support for per-node colors. Text color, back
color and font of individual nodes can be changed. Full custom drawing
is also supported.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added ability to do custom sorting of nodes using
the BeforeNodeSort event.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved SelectNode and GetNode methods so that
1. \\192.168.1.12\\Share works also (in addition to \\Server\\Share)
2. c:\parent\child works even if 'parent' has no permissions but 'child'
3. FTP locations can now be browsed.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY: Added support for Mobile Devices which use ActiveSync.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved support for FTP locations.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Comprehensive support for overlay icons :
1. Overlay icons are now directly sourced from the OS.
2. Overlay icon extensions are supported
3. Overlay icons for namespace extension items are also supported.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added ability to identify known (pre-defined)
commands via a ShellCommands enum instead of a command string in the
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Ability to invoke the default command for an item
using the new ShellCommands.Default enum member.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved dragdrop support when dragging from certain
programs such as Winzip.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : BeforeShellCommandExecute event is fired when
ShellCommands.Default verb is executed.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : In the AfterLabelEdit event, the new name entered
by the user can be modified before the node is renamed.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : FOVTreeNode.DisplayName property is now writable
and setting it causes the node to be renamed.
- CHANGE: Default (non-themed) checkboxes changed to look more presentable.
- NEW ENUM MEMBER : Added ShellCommands.Unknown and ShellCommands.Default
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetDriveType method.
- NEW ENUMS : Added SortMethods, DriveType and DrawMode enums.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FolderView.DrawMode property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FolderView.NodesInReverse property
- NEW PROPERTIES : Added FOVTreeNode.Height and FolderView.ItemHeight
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FOVTreeNode.SelectedIconIndex property.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetShellIconFromExtension method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetShellIconFromPath method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.SysIconIndexFromPIDL method.
- NEW METHODS : Added FolderView.GetLastNode and FolderView.GetPreviousNode
- NEW METHODS : Added FOVTreeNode.NextNode and FOVTreeNode.PreviousNode
- NEW METHODS : Added FolderView.SelectNode and FolderView.GetNode method
overloads with a 'fastMode' parameter.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FOVTreeNode.HasChildren property.
- NEW EVENT : Added FolderView.DrawNode event.
- NEW EVENT : Added FolderView.Reload event.
- NEW EVENT : Added FolderView.BeforeNodeSort event.
- NEW EVENT : Added FolderView.CompareNodes event.
- NEW METHOD : Added FOVTreeNode.Sort method.
- NEW METOD : Added FOVTreeNode.GetBounds method.
- BUGFIX : Fixed buffer overrun error when showing certain files with
extremely long names such as those in the 'Temporary Internet files'
- BUGFIX : FolderView incorrectly scrolled horizontally under some circumstances.
- BUGFIX : The verbs provided in OnBeforeShellCommandExecute event are
now more robustly determined.
- BUGFIX : Crash occurred when a context menu overflowed the screen
and the user moved the mouse over the 'scroll buttons' of the menu.
- BUGFIX : OnContextMenuHint event was incorrectly fired (with garbage
values) for background menu items or for custom menuitems.
- BUGFIX : Last checked item was not returned when using GetFirstCheckedItem/NextCheckedItem.
- BUGFIX : Executing verbs invoked incorrect commands under certain
rare circumstances (for example, 'find' verb invoked the McAfee Virus
Scan instead (if installed)).
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash that occurred at design time in Visual Studio
2005 when the 'Property Pages' dialog was invoked.
- BUGFIX : Fixed continuous incorrect scrolling which occurred after
certain drag-drop operations were completed.
- BUGFIX : When any child node (but not parent node itself) was checked,
and a new child was added and AutoCheckChildren=true, the child node
would be checked when added.
What's New!! in version 2008 (Build 581512)
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for drag-drop from some external
sources such as Winzip.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added comprehensive support for overlay icons.
Overlay icons other than Shortcut and Share are now supported, overlay
icons for custom namespace extension items are supported and overlay
icons are not sourced directly from the OS.
- BUGFIX : Crash occurred if AddCustomItem was called with '-1' as the
- BUGFIX : Fixed internal crash and consequent 'random scrolling' bug
when dragdrop enters from some external locations.
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash in VIsual Studio 2005 at design time when invoking
control property pages.
- BUGFIX : Incorrect node gets selected when FolderView is linked to
FileView and FileView attempts to browse to an inaccessible location.
What's New!! in version 2008
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for multiple root nodes.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Automatically takes on the new Vista look when
running on Vista.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : UI dialogs such as the 'Network Logon prompt'
or error/informational messages are now displayed in all circumstances
(depending on the value of ShowUIDialogs property).
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : In synchronized mode, when browsing to a new location
fails (such as for an empty CD drive), FolderView changes back to the
previous browsed location.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Dragdrop now uses the data provided by dragged
items in addition to custom developer defined data. This is useful when
dragging items from a namespace extension or a non-filesystem location.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved AutoUpdate functionality to handle additional
cases of created/deleted/renamed/refreshed files and folders.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Removed dependency on shell32.dll v4.71 and above
- so FolderView now works on NT4 with IE4 also.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : GetDisplayNameEx method of FOVTreeNode now can
return the target of a shortcut.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : When items are 'cut', they now appear 'ghosted'.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Synchronization between FolderView and FileView
improved in efficiency.
- NEW METHOD : Added FolderView.RootNode method.
- NEW METHOD : Added FOVTreeNode.BeginLabelEdit and FOVTreeNode.EndLabelEdit
- NEW METHOD : Added FOVTreeNode.Toggle method.
- NEW METHOD : Added FolderView.GoUp method.
- NEW METHOD : Added FolderView.RefreshTree method.
- NEW METHOD : Added FOVTreeNode.GetChildrenCheckState method.
- NEW METHOD : Added FOVTreeNode.RefreshChildren and FOVTreeNode.RefreshTree
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.DoesFilenameMatchWildCard method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetSpecialFolderPath and Utilities.PathFromPIDL
- NEW METHOD : Added new enum constants to SpecialFolders enumeration.
- NEW METHOD : Added ShellMenuItem.SetBitmap method.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FOVTreeNode.PreviousVisibleNode and FOVTreeNode.NextVisibleNode
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FolderView.FirstVisibleItem and FolderView.NextVisibleItem
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FOVTreeNode.Level property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FOVTreeNode.IsVisible property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FolderView.VisibleCount property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FolderView.FullRowSelect property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FolderView.LineColor property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FOVTreeNode.Hilited property
- NEW METHOD : Added overloaded FolderView.SelectChild methods.
- NEW METHOD : Added overloaded AddCustomNode and AddRootNode methods
- BUGFIX : TreeNode.GetDisplayNameEx method did not return display name
for 'Desktop' correctly if ForParsing flag was specified.
- BUGFIX : Calling FolderView.RefreshView through code or UI caused
a synchronized FileView to briefly display the contents of the Desktop
before switching the original folder.
- BUGFIX : FOVTreeNode.CreateNewFolder method crashed when called on
the 'My Documents' node if 'My Documents' was mapped to a root drive
- BUGFIX : FOVTreeNode.CreateNewFolder method did not enter the newly
created folder in edit mode under certain circumstances.
- BUGFIX : If, after renaming, the new name is same as old name, renaming
- BUGFIX : (+) sign of a node got removed under certain circumstances
- BUGFIX : FOVTreeNode.Delete did not remove (+) sign of parent node
if there are no more children.
- BUGFIX : FOVTreeNode.Path returned incorrect values in certain cases.
- BUGFIX : Setting RootFolder property before handle was created caused
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash in FileView.DisplayShellMenuForItems method.
- BUGFIX : New background submenu is only included if its really possible
to create a new file.
- BUGFIX : Path property of items which are shortcut targets is now
correctly returned (the target of the shortcut is returned).
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash which occurred during dragdrop in certain cases.
- BUGFIX : Fixed bug which caused browsing of folder shortcuts to fail.
- BUGFIX : Fixed buffer overrun caused by items having very long names.
What's New!! in version 9.0
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : It is not longer necessary to use a manifest file
when visual styles are used in applications using the Application.EnableVisualStyles
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Context menu is now displayed for the 'Desktop'
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Now uses a cleaner 'Share' overlay icon.
- NEW EVENT : Added NodeClick event to FolderView class.
- NEW EVENT : Added NodeDoubleClick event to FolderView class.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetSystemIconIndexFromPath method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetSystemIconIndexFromExtension method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.GetStandardSystemIconIndex method.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.PIDLSplit method.
- BUGFIX : Invoking of default action for an item did not work in some
- BUGFIX : TreeNode.DisplayShellMenu always displayed the context menu
of the currently selected node instead of for self.
- BUGFIX : TreeNode.IsFolder method now returns the correct value depending
on whether 'Zip Folders' are enabled or disabled.
- BUGFIX : The 'Desktop' node now shows the correct display name on
What's New!! in version 8.0
- NEW : Now implemented in 100% C# managed code. Some of the advantages
of this include 64-bit support, better IDE support, better tool support
(such as profilers, linkers, etc) and reduced assembly file size (by
as much as half)
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Full support for 64-bit systems and 64-bit development.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added Utilities class accessible via the FolderView.Utilities
property; contains a variety of helper methods for working with FolderView
and the Windows shell.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added dynamic string localization support. Strings
used by FolderView can now be dynamically changed/localized at runtime.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Ability to use different image list sizes for
node icons (small/large/extra large) via the FolderView.ShellImageListType
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : When Windows XP Visual Themes are enabled, themed
check boxes are used if ShowCheckBoxes property is True.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : FolderView now supports WebDAV locations. FolderView.CurrentFolder
property and FOVTreeNode.Path property now work correctly with WebDAV
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Made the FOVTreeNode.CheckState property read-write
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added ability for complete check box synchronization
between FolderView and FileView using FolderView.CheckState property,
FOVTreeNode.RefreshCheckState method and FolderView.QueryNodeCheckState
- NEW METHOD : Added FOVTreeNode.RefreshCheckState method which refreshes
the check state of a node.
- NEW EVENT : Added FolderView.QueryNodeCheckState event.
- NEW EVENT : Added FolderView.Initialize event.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FolderView.ShellImageListType property which
gets/sets the size of icons used for nodes.
- NEW METHOD : Added FOVTreeNode.GetShellIcon method which retrieves
the shell icon for a node.
- NEW METHOD : Added TreeNode.IsFolder method which determines whether
the node is a file or a folder.
- NEW METHOD : Added Utilities.PIDLDecode and Utilities.PIDLEncode methods
to encode/decode PIDLs into strings for easy storage/serialization.
- NEW METHOD : Added FOVTreeNode.GetDisplayNameEx method which gets
the display name of the node in a specified format.
- NEW METHOD : Added FolderView.BeginUpdate and FileView.EndUpdate methods.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added FolderView.Nodes and FolderView.CheckedNodes
properties for easy enumeration of nodes/checked nodes using the foreach
(For Each) statement.
- NEW METHOD : Added FolderView.GetChildNodes method for easy enumeration
of child nodes using the foreach (For Each) statement.
- BUGFIX : Crash occurred when attempting to browse certain namespace
extensions with custom views.
- BUGFIX : Check boxes were not shown for custom items even if ShowCheckBoxes
was set to True.
- BUGFIX : The Node parameter in the FolderView.OnOleDragDrop event
was not accessible.
- BUGFIX : Hang when a node was renamed and a custom item was present
in the hierarchy below the renamed node.
- BUGFIX : FolderView.BackColor and FolderView.ForeColor properties
now respect the system setting.
What's New!! in version 7.1
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New property, QueryHasSubFolders, controls whether
queries are made to determine whether folders have subfolders ( used
to display the (+) sign ). For network folders, disabling this can increase
the speed of FolderView.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New Node property to PopupContextMenuEventArgs
to help determine the node for which
the context menu is being shown.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added CLSCompliant version of the Attributes property
by adding a GetAttributes method.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New methods GetBitmap and SetBitmap to FIVDataObject
allow bitmaps to be drag-dropped.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added DisplayShellMenu method to TreeNode to allow
programmatic display of node shell contextmenu.
- BUGFIX : Fixed issue due to which a "LoaderLock Detected"
MDA (Managed Debug Assistant) message was shown in Visual Studio 2005
projects at runtime or design-time.
- BUGFIX : Crash occurred when invalid data in HDROP format was dragged
- BUGFIX : Index property of ShellMenuItem did not work correctly.
- BUGFIX : Item context menus were shown when Shift+F10 or Windows App
key was pressed even if the ShowContextMenus property was set to False.
- BUGFIX : If the starting folder is changed at design-time, an exception
was thrown when the program was run in Debug mode.
- BUGFIX : If drives are added or removed, FileView did not update even
if AutoUpdate property was set to True.
- BUGFIX : Fixed crash in Visual Studio 2005 under certain circumstances.
- BUGFIX : Fixed problem of non-display of icons in Windows Vista Beta1.
- BUGFIX : Separator property os ShellMenuItem did not return the correct
- BUGFIX : Fixed GDI resource leaks in AddCustomIcon method.
- BUGFIX : Value of Enabled property of ShellMenuItem was lost when
the Index property was set.
- BUGFIX : SelectNode method works even if Desktop node is selected
or if there is no selection.
What's New!! in version 7.0
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : An internal implementation change now makes the
FolderView up to 5X times faster!
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : OnAfterNodeRename is fired even when label editing
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved node check box appearance : the check
boxes are now centered vertically and a space is left between the checkbox
and the node icon.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : FolderView-FileView-ShComboBox integration is
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved design-time support.
- NEW PROPERTY : HideSelection : Gets/Sets whether the selected items
remains highlighted even when FolderView has lost the focus.
- NEW PROPERTY : AllowZipFolders : Gets/Sets whether zip files are allowed
to behave as folders on Windows XP.
- NEW METHOD : SetCheckboxBitmaps : Allows custom bitmaps to be used
as the bitmap for check boxes.
- NEW METHOD : PIDLFree and PIDLCopy to allow shell PIDLs to be freed
and copied. See the BackForwardNavigation sample.
- BUGFIX : Node icons not shown when system does not have a c:\ drive.
- BUGFIX : Eliminated crash which occurred when dragging from FolderView
and dropping on a CD-RW drive in XP.
- BUGFIX : Setting IconIndex property of TreeNode to a negative value
did not reset the icon to the system default icon.
- BUGFIX : Renaming an expanded node caused future operations on child
nodes to fail.
- BUGFIX : Changes in the 'My Documents' folder caused AutoUpdate to
refresh only the 'My Documents' node shown under desktop and not the
node representing the actual path where the 'My Documents' folder is
stored ( eg : c:\documents and settings\username ).
- BUGFIX : Cut/hidden nodes not shown as ghosted if ShowCheckBoxes property
- BUGFIX : Context menu for nodes was not shown when right-clicked for
the first time.
- BUGFIX : New folders created with CreateNewFolder entered renaming
mode regardless of whether a name for the new folder was specified.
What's New!! in version 6.1
- NEW FUCNTIONALITY : Custom items now support context menus.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Custom items now support dragdrop functionality.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Check boxes are now shown correctly when only
some child nodes of a parent node are checked.
- NEW METHOD : Empty for FOVDataObject which allows programmer to remove
all data from the data object at the start of a dragdrop operation.
- BUGFIX : Renaming a node so that the new name had a trailing space
or period caused the node to be displayed twice.
- BUGFIX : Using the CreateNewFolder method selected the original parent
node after the label editing was complete.
What's New!! in version 6.0
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for DataObject manipulation during
dragdrop. This allows programmer to access data or put new data during
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for contextmenu customization. This
allows programmer to remove, insert or modify the contextmenu displayed
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for custom icons.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added support for custom overlay icons similar
to the shortcut and share overlay icons.
- NEW PROPERTY : ShowUIDialogs which allows programmer to control whether
user-interface dialogs or error messages should be displayed.
- NEW METHOD : FindChild for FOVTreeNode.
- NEW PROPERTY : ExpandSelectedNode causes the selected node to expand
automatically and the previously selected node to collapse.
- BUGFIX : Background color was not grayed when control is disabled.
- BUGFIX : Node contextmenu was not displayed when the Shift+F10 key
combination was pressed.
- BUGFIX : NodeChecking and NodeChecking events were not firing for
child nodes when a parent node was checked/unchecked with AutoCheckChildren
set to True. Child nodes were not getting checked/unchecked when a parent
node is checked/unchecked with a spacebar.
- BUGFIX : On Win98 systems, folders could not be expanded, infotips
did not display and node label editing was faulty.
- BUGFIX : The CreateNewFolder function selected the original parent
node after label editing of the new folder was complete.
What's New!! in version 5.2
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY
: Dragdrop of non-shell items is supported. For example, mails
from Outlook or Outlook Express can be drag-dropped over a folder or
a folder background.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY
: FolderView now supports drag-drop images while performing a
drag-drop operation just like Windows Explorer.
- BUGFIX : AutoUpdate of a large number of items failed.
- BUGFIX : An exception occurred when a form containing FolderView was
destroyed and shown again.
What's New!! in version 5.1
- New 100% .Net version of the control released.
FUNCTIONALITY : 100% support for Unicode. The
control can now display and navigate to files/folders having names in
Unicode. This brings support for all languages including Japanese, Chinese
FUNCTIONALITY : Dragdrop behavior control : developers can cancel
the start of a dragdrop operation, cancel the drop action and change
default dragdrop actions ( e.g. from copy to move).
FUNCTIONALITY : Ability to change or suppress the default infotip
shown for folders.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Developers can add custom items to a branch of
the folder tree using the AfterExpand event and the HasExpandedOnce
property along with the AddCustomItem method.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Developers can prevent execution of shell commands
( open,cut,rename,etc) on items on a per-item basis using the OnBeforeShellCommandExecute
- NEW EVENT : FolderViewStartDrag for FolderView.
- NEW EVENT : FolderViewDragOver for FolderView.
- NEW EVENT : FolderViewDragDrop for FolderView.
- NEW EVENT : GetInfoTip for FolderView.
- NEW EVENT : BeforeShellCommandExecute for FolderView.
- NEW EVENT : AfterExpand for FolderView.
- NEW EVENT : AfterCollapse for FolderView.
- NEW PROPERTY : HasExpandedOnce for FOVTreeNode.
- NEW METHOD : IsSpecialFolder for FOVTreeNode allows developers to
determine if a node is one of the system-defined folders(My Computers,
- BUGFIX : Mapped shares were not displayed in FolderView.
- BUGFIX : Moving mouse over certain contextmenu items added by namespace
extension caused a crash.
- BUGFIX : Pressing the "Alt-Enter" key combination did not
cause the properties of the selected item to be displayed ( as in Windows
- BUGFIX : Creating a new folder through FolderView did not caused a
linked FileView to refresh.
- BUGFIX : AfterLabelEdit event passed incorrect value for the new label.
What's New!! in version 5.0
What's New!! in version 4.3
FUNCTIONALITY : FolderView can now display custom nodes(not belonging
to the shell) in the tree.
FUNCTIONALITY : FolderView now automatically checks child nodes when
checked parent nodes are first expanded.
FUNCTIONALITY : Nodes can now be retrieved programmatically by
specifying a path or PIDL.
ENUMERATION : FOVRelationTypes
PROPERTY : Selected for TreeNode
PROPERTY : ID for TreeNode
METHOD : IsCustom for TreeNode
METHOD : IsDesktop for TreeNode
METHOD : GetNode for FolderView
METHOD : GetNodeFromID for FolderView
METHOD : AddCustomNode for FolderView
- BUGFIX : HitTest method did not work.
- BUGFIX : Shell contextmenu was shown even when the checkbox of a
node was rightclicked
- BUGFIX : Node was selected when checkbox was checked.
: Right-clicking and then double-clicking within FolderView caused the
application hosting FolderView to 'hang'; the only way to resolve this
was to activate a different application and then switch back to the
application using FolderView.
: MouseDown and Click events did not fire when clicking on nodes.
: Could not set the root folder of FolderView at design-time from the
property pages in Visual Studio.Net IDE.
: Random crashes in Visual C++ 6.0 at design-time.
- BUGFIX : Crashed when starting a drag-drop operation on the Desktop
- BUGFIX : Wrong name shown during editing for certain items (like
- BUGFIX : Renaming a node in FolderView caused a different node to
get selected after the renaming operation.
- BUGFIX : Using FolderView together with one of either FileView or
ShComboBox and SmartUI ActiveX Controls caused crashes.
What's New!! in version 4.2
- Version 4.2 fixes a bug in which the control became UI active when
placed on an ATL dialog.
- Version 4.2 allows user-defined menuitems in the context menus of
files/folders using the AddCustomContextMenuItem method and OnCustomContextMenuItemAdd
and OnCustomContextMenuItemSelect events.
- Version 4.2 fixes a bug involving drag-drop of first-level items
like those on the Desktop.
- Version 4.2 fixes a bug in which the SelectedNode property isn't
updated until after OnAfterNodeSelect fires.
What's New!! in version 4.1
- Version 4.1 fixes a memory leak which occurs during display of files/folders.
- Version 4.1 features improved support for Visual Studio.Net. Projects
using the control no more occasionally crash.
- Version 4.1 fixes a bug involving the AllowDragDrop property.
- Version 4.1 fixes a bug involving the AutoUpdate functionality.
What's New!! in version 4.0
- Version 4.0 adds a AddCustomIcon method to allow display of programmer-defined
icons for folders.
- Version 4.0 adds a AutoCheckChildren property which controls whether
children are automatically checked/unchecked when a parent is checked/unchecked.
- Version 4.0 adds a OverlayIconIndex property to TreeNode which allows
programmer-defined overlay icons to be specified for folders.
- Version 4.0 fixes a bug in which the NodeChecked event was called
- Version 4.0 fixes a bug in which RootFolder returned an incorrect
value for the Desktop.
- Version 4.0 fixes a bug involving drag-drop.
What's New!! in version 3.3
- Version 3.3 adds a CreateNewFolder method to TreeNode.
- Version 3.3 adds a Delete method to TreeNode which allows you to
delete unwanted nodes from the FolderView.
- Version 3.3 fixes a bug in which shortcut files did not open correctly
when the cmdOpen was specified on Windows 2000
- Version 3.3 fixes a bug which involved the AutoUpdate feature on
- Version 3.3 fixes a bug involving the ExecuteShellCmd method.
What's New!! in version 3.2
- Version 3.2 displays a 'busy' cursor while adding TreeNodes.
- Version 3.2 adds a ShowCheckBox property to TreeNode to control per-node
display of check boxes.
- Version 3.2 adds a CancelEvent property to control per-node display
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug associated with the backColor property.
- Version 3.2 fixes a memory leak of some internal data structures.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving the RefreshView method.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving the return value of ExecuteShellCmd.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug involving display of contextmenus.
- Version 3.2 fixes a bug in which the control was not being drawn
properly when placed on a
What's New!! in version 3.1
- Version 3.1 has improved design-time support for some containers
like VC and Access
- Version 3.1 fixes a bug involving selection of nodes
- Version 3.1 fixes a bug involving firing of selection events
- Version 3.1 has improved sizing support
- Version 3.1 adds a HitTest method
- Version 3.1 fixes a bug involving the Attributes property
- Version 3.1 adds a Text property to TreeNode which allows you to
set custom displaytext for the TreeNode
- Version 3.1 adds a UserData property to TreeNode which allows you
to set user-defined data for a TreeNode
- Version 3.1 has improved support for property pages
- Version 3.1 adds OnAfterNodeAdd and OnBeforeNodeDelete events
What's New!! in version 3.0
- Version 3.0 can be easily used with ShComboBox and FileView Controls
using simple 1-line code like : fldrVw.FileView = fileVw
- Version 3.0 has full drag-drop support with auto-scroll and auto-expand.
Now you can drag-drop files internally within FolderView, between two
FolderViews, between FolderView and Explorer or between FileView and
- Version 3.0 has vastly-improved AutoUpdate support.
- Version 3.0 has improved keyboard-handling support.
- Version 3.0 has improved support for default key handling. Version
3.0 responds to all keystrokes used in Windows Explorer.
- Version 3.0 has enhanced support for renaming of items. Items can
now be renamed within FolderView. The rename menuitem is also seen in
the contextmenu of an item. Moreover renaming can be programmatically
started through code.
- Version 3.0 has improved support for overlay icons and fixes some
bugs found in earlier versions.
- Version 3.0 has vastly improved support for contextmenus.
- Version 3.0 has a AllowDragDrop property for controlling drag-drop.
- Version 3.0 has a Font property for changing the active font.
- Version 3.0 has a WindowHandle property.
- Version 3.0 has a BorderStyle property.
- Version 3.0 adds a IconIndex property to TreeNode object for changing
the icon shown for a Node.
- Version 3.0 adds Font and Color property pages to FolderView.
- Version 3.0 fixes bugs found in the CreateNewFolder method.
- Version 3.0 fixes bugs associated with display names of shared(network)
- Version 3.0 fixes sizing bug in Access
- Version 3.0 makes the Expanded property of TreeNode read-write. Now
you can expand nodes programmatically.
- Version 3.0 adds a PIDLRelative property to TreeNode.
- Version 3.0 adds a RefreshView method.
- Version 3.0 fixes a bug associated with the Path property of TreeNode
- Version 3.0 fixes a bug associated with the CheckState property of
- Version 3.0 adds a NodeChecked event.
- Version 3.0 fixes a bug associated with the SelectNode method.
- Version 3.0 adds optional parameters to Child and Children properties
to control the addition of nodes.
What's New!! in version 2.5
- Added GetFirstItem and GetNextItem methods to navigate sequentially
through the TreeNodes from top to bottom
- Added ShowInfoTips property for showing shell infotips.
- Added BackColor property
- Added MouseUp, Click and DblClick events
- Fixed shortcut overlay icon bug in Win2000
- Added support for shared overlay icon for network items
- Fixed bug in which root folder was sometimes set incorrectly
What's New!! in version 2.1
- A common bug which affected a few properties or methods ( to varying
degrees ) like SelectNode, AutoUpdate, SetRootFolder, has now been fixed
- A bug which caused the FolderView Control to lose its position when
placed on a VB form has been fixed.
- Added a new property for TreeNode object - CheckStatus which indicated
the Check status of the TreeNode indicating whether it is checked or
- The About Box shown at startup in the unregistered version is now
shown much less frequently. Evaluate this control with minimum obstacles!!!
- The SelectNode and SelectChild methods now return a boolean value
indicating whether the selection was successful.
What's New!! in version 2.0
- Ability to set the root folder through code.
- Better integration with the FileView Control through the use of CurrentPidl
property and also the PIDL property of the TreeNode object.
- Many new events for better notification like NodeRightClick , MouseMove
, MouseUp , KeyDown , KeyUp and NodeRenaming .
- Optional ability to allow renaming of items
- Optional ability to handle standard keystrokes like Ctrl-C , Ctrl-X
etc like the Explorer.
- Notification of context menu hints ( the messages you see in the
statusbar of Explorer when a menu-item is selected )
- Many major and minor bug-fixes.