Version history - ShellObjects
What's New!! in version 2012
- NEW: Improved support for Windows 7 libraries.
- NEW: Improved support for Vista and Windows 7.
- FIX: Overflow crash occurred on x64 in some cases.
- FIX: Task Dialog did not show in certain circumstances when called
from a BackgroundWorker object.
- NEW: FileExtensionInfo and ProgIDInfo classes to associate apps with
file extensions via registry.
- NEW: PreviewPane support for Windows Vista and Windows 7.
- NEW: PreviewPane now supports image files (bmp, png, jpg, etc)
- NEW: PreviewPane now supports showing thumbnails via IExtractImage
if not preview handler is present.
- NEW: Added TaskDialog.ParentWindow property to specify parent for
What's New!! in version 2010
- NEW: Now works with the .Net Framework Client Profile.
- NEW PROPERTY: ShellAppbar.AutoHideHideDelay property.
- FIX: Rare crash at design-time.
- FIX: Black lines not shown during sliding of autohidden appbar.
- NEW PROPERTY: ShellAppBar.AutoHiddenAppBarSize property.
- FIX: Removed flash ShellAppBarwhen AutoHide property is changed.
- NEW: ShellAppbar now correctly handles screen resolution or orientation
- NEW: ShellAppbar now correctly handles scenario when an app goes into
- NEW METHOD: ShellProgressDialog.GetWindowHandle method.
- FIX: Did not show time remaining on Vista.
- NEW METHOD: Shellutils.Capture methods.
- NEW METHOD: Shellutils.Screensaver* methods.
- NEW METHOD: ShellUtils.SetWallpaper method.
Brand New Components!
SystemHook component: Listen to system-wide mouse and
What's New!! in version 2009
Brand New Components!
ShellProgressDialog : Display user-friendly system-standard
progress dialogs while lengthy operations are performed.
ShellTaskBar : Add, remove, re-order and organize tabs
on the Windows TaskBar.
ShellUtils : Contains various shell utility methods.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Dragdocking can now be initiated and performed
even from the caption bar (in undocked mode).
- BUGFIX : Appbar did not paint correctly after after slide in/out.
- BUGFIX : Number of shell notify icons increased by a factor of 2 each
time Windows Explorer was restarted.
What's New!! in version 2008 (Build 581512)
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Appbars can now be drag-docked even when dragging
by the caption/title area when in undocked mode.
What's New!! in version 2008
Brand New Components!
ShellFileOperation : Perform common operations such
as Copy/Move/Rename and Delete on multiple files/folders with full sub-directory
support and progress dialogs.
SystemIdleTimer : Get notified when the system enters
and exits an idle state.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Now honors host forms border style property.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Border of host form is now drawn according to
the background color of the form.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Made the size of an autohidden appbar 2 pixels
similar to the system appbars such as 'Quick-Launch'.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Reduced flicker during docking/undocking.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Any element with a handle can be converted into
an appbar. This allows forms and dialogs from non-Windows Forms libraries
to be converted into an appbar.
- NEW METHOD : Added ShellAppbar.SetHostForm method.
- NEW METHOD : Added ShellAppBar.StartDragDock method.
- BUGFIX : ShellAppBar now honors the ShowInTaskBar property of host
form when undocked.
- BUGFIX : Appbar does not minimize and go out of view if the 'Show
Desktop' command is executed by the user.
- Default value of SoundFile property is "SystemNotification"
which plays a 'notification' sound everytime a popup is showed.
- Added SystemHotkey.IsRegistered property.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added ShellLink.LoadFromFileEx method.
- NEW PROPERTY : Added new Trigger.EndDate and Trigger.IsEndDateValid
- BUGFIX : DaysOfTheMonth property was defined as 16-bit instead of
- NEW PROPERTY : Added TaskDialog.Handle property.
- NEW METHOD : Added ShellMenuItem.SetBitmap method.
What's New!! in version 9.0
Brand New Components!
Wizard: Create 'wizard' user-interfaces easily
with this new control featuring full design-time support.
Resizer: Add automatic resizing and resolution
independence to your forms in a single step.
TaskDialog: Display new Vista 'Task Dialog'
style message boxes easily.
SystemHotKey: Define and listen for system-wide
SingleInstanceComponent : Get notified when
another instance of your application is started and optionally prevent
it from running.
- BUGFIX : Icon is automatically re-added to the system tray if the
tray is recreated by Windows.
- BUGFIX : MaximizeFromTray now correctly restores the window to the
maximized position if it was maximized
before calling the MinimizeToTray method
- BUGFIX : Icon was removed from the tray area even if the Form.Closing
event was cancelled.
- NEW PROPERTY : DockingScreen property allows specifying the screen
to which appbar should be docked.
- NEW METHOD : SetDockingEdgeAndScreen allows specifying the docking
edge and screen at once.
- NEW PROPERTY : AutoHideShowDelay to ShellAppBar.
- NEW PROPERTY : AutoHidePinned to ShellAppBar.
- BUGFIX : Fixed problem in which the form size at design time and the
docked size was off by few pixels.
- BUGFIX : ShellPopup.Close method did not work correctly in some cases.
- BUGFIX : ShellPopup.SetAreaCursor method did not work correctly in
- NEW METHOD : New overloaded LoadFromFile method which allows specifying
What's New!! in version 8.0 - minor update dated 6th Nov 2006
- Brand new component : TaskScheduler gives full control and access
to the Windows Task Scheduler service - create, modify and delete tasks,
set task properties and triggers and more.
- NEW PROPERTY : AutoHidePinned : Keeps an auto-hidden appbar visible
all the time.
What's New!! in version 8.0
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Full support for 64-bit systems and 64-bit development.
- NEW : Now implemented in 100% C# managed code. Some of the advantages
of this include 64-bit support, better IDE support, better tool support
(such as profilers, linkers, etc) and reduced assembly file size (by
as much as half).
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Changes to popup notification properties now take
effect even if popup is shown.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Ability to play a sound file when a popup notification
- NEW PROPERTY : Added ShellPopupNotification.SoundFile and ShellPopup.SoundFile
- NEW EVENT : Added ShellPopupNotification.LinkClick event.
- NEW EVENT : Added ShellPopupNotification.TextClick event.
- BUGFIX : The Office2003 gripper gradient was now drawn correctly.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Added anchoring capability to an appbar using
the ShellAppbar.VAnchor and ShellAppbar.HAnchor properties.
- NEW EVENT : Added ShellAppBar.DockingEdgeChanged event.
- NEW EVENT : Added ShellAppBar.AutoHideAppBarStateChanged event.
- NEW PROPERY : Added ShellAppBar.ShowAnimTime and ShellAppBar.HideAnimTime
properties for specifying animation times in autohide mode.
- BUGFIX : An appbar now remembers size changes when in auto-hidden
- BUGFIX : Dragdocking was allowed even when drag was initiated by the
right mouse button.
- NEW METHOD : Added TrayImageList.AddStrip method which adds a series
of images to the notify icon's imagelist from a single bitmap strip.
What's New!! in version 7.1
- NEW COMPONENT : ShellAppBar - Convert your forms to application desktop
toolbars similar to Quick Launch - with complete autohide and drag-docking
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : ShellPopup colors are automatically updated when
the system colors change.
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : New MinimizeToTray and MaximizeFromTray methods
allows a form to be minimized/maximized from tray with corresponding
- NEW FUNCTIONALITY : Improved design-time support for the ImageIndex
and ImageList properties of ShellNotifyIcon makes it easy to add/remove
icons which will be displayed in the shell tray notification area.
- BUGFIX : Fixed issue due to which a "LoaderLock Detected"
MDA (Managed Debug Assistant) message was shown in Visual Studio 2005
projects at runtime or design-time.
- BUGFIX : Using the ShellPopupNotification control in a Managed C++
project caused a compiler error in the project.
- BUGFIX : Value of Enabled property of ShellMenuItem was lost when
the Index property was set.
- BUGFIX : Index property of ShellMenuItem did not work correctly.
- BUGFIX : Separator property os ShellMenuItem did not return the correct
- BUGFIX : GripperColor and GripperColor2 properties take desired documented
- BUGFIX : ShellPopup gripper bar dots in Office2003 style are not displayed
if AllowDrag property is False.
- BUGFIX : BackImageIsTransparent and LogoImageIsTransparent take the
desired documented effect.
What's New!! in version 7.0
- Initial release of ShellObjects.Net.